The intermodal terminals have managed to change the logistics sector. Its importance in the transport of goods is discussed, among other aspects.
What is an Intermodal Terminal?
A space was created to facilitate the transport of intermodal transport units. Typically, it is merchandise that is served in containers, swap bodies, trailers, trucks, and semi-trailers. Other alternatives are train cars and trucks.
How are intermodal terminals
They promote the interaction of different means of transport. Depending on the type of transport they include:
- A connection of the highway with the tracks of a train. Trailers, flatbed wagons, and the complete track are included.
- The union of the highway with maritime transport. Containers, semi-trailers, and trucks travel onboard a ship for part of the journey. Later, they continue their route by road.
- The combination of the train with maritime transport. ITU trains arrive directly at the loading dock. The cranes are responsible for moving the load.
What is the role of intermodal terminals in freight transport?
Intermodal Terminals helps shippers to:
- Reduce the time and costs of each order.
- Streamline the loading and unloading process.
- Reduce energy consumption by increasing sustainability.
- Simplify the necessary documentation for the transport of goods.
- Reduce the chances of loss or theft.
All of the above has helped to improve infrastructures. Getting the most out of different forms of transport is beneficial for the sector. Standardization of import and export requirements helps make transportation more efficient.
The rates are now lower and it is possible to use a standard transit time. Thus, any company using the terminal does not suffer delays. Safety, reliability, and capacity have been increased.
The reduction in traffic affects the level of Co2 in the atmosphere. Each loading unit consumes fewer resources and has opted for the use of ecological packaging. Improving road safety and reducing noise are other complementary factors. Respect for the environment is a fact.
Being able to trace a certain route and choose the shortest path is a guarantee of success.
Therefore, intermodal terminals. They are already one of the pillars of logistics in the country. Its adaptability and effectiveness are undoubted. Its growth and automation may be factors that mark its future development. Everything is to turn them into irreplaceable pieces of merchandise transport.
The Internet of things and big data are directly influencing the evolution of these infrastructures. A promising future is expected and an interesting evolution of them in the coming years.